Are you ready to take your writing to the next level?
by Nancy Kay Clark
CommuterLit publisher & editor
I started CommuterLit a decade ago, with two goals in mind: firstly, create a community where fellow writers can help each other develop their skills and promote each other’s work, and secondly, raise enough funds every year to pay our contributors. CL has made great strides on the former, but, unfortunately, not so many strides on the latter. But we’ve got a new plan that I think will expand our support of writers in our community, as well as gather the money together to finally pay our contributors.
Every writer, be they beginner or veteran, needs a close circle of fellow writers to act as sounding boards, mentors, beta-readers and emotional support. And it’s even better to have a direct line to an experienced editor to answer their questions and give feedback on their works-in-progress. But not every writer, particularly in these days of COVID lockdown, has the means to connect with other writers or hire an editor.
For a small annual contribution to CL‘s Contributors Fund, you can get that type of support from me and fellow community members on an ongoing basis by joining our Writing Circle.
None of the fees collected will go towards paying for my time, until there is a sustainable ongoing fund to pay writers.
There are two membership subscription levels
Silver – CA$65 per year
1. Members receive two free editorial critiques (4,000 words max.) per year (the regular fee for one critique is CA$50; so you’re saving money);
2. 10% discount on critiques over 4,000 words;
3. Access to me and other members of the Writing Circle through a private Facebook group. I’ll be posting writing tips and publishing information every day, and you can, of course, ask me anything. As well, you can promote your own writing and publishing milestones to members.
4. The opportunity to join monthly small-group writing workshops on Zoom led by me — to read and discuss each other’s work. I’ll keep the participant numbers per session low, so we can devote enough time to everyone’s work.
Gold – CA$85 per year
1. Members receive three free editorial critiques (4,000 words max.) per year (which would normally cost you $150);
2. 15% discount on critiques over 4,000 words;
3. Access to me and other members of the Writing Circle through a private Facebook group;
4. The opportunity to join small-group writing workshops on Zoom led by me — to read and discuss each other’s work; and
5. A one-on-one Zoom or phone meeting with me to discuss anything you want — structure/plot, first chapters, (the first 20 pages of your draft), query letters, endings, pace, characters, dialogue.
Please note membership benefits are not transferable from year to year. You must make use of them within 12 months of signing up. Membership renewals will be on an annual basis.
Sign up through PayPal below. Or if you prefer, to pay by cheque or direct deposit, email me at admin at commuterlit dot com.